Wednesday, March 6, 2024

 



Gothic Poems: a Project

Rhys Hughes



The first poet I read with genuine enthusiasm was Edgar Allan Poe. I had read a little poetry before, enjoying most of what I had found, but Poe had the music I really wanted to hear in my head, sombre and yet energetic, and the imagery I truly wanted to see with my mind’s eye.

I was enthralled by his hypnotic rhythms and the way they drove along his mostly morbid flights of fancy. I found his lyricism remarkable, sublime, even addictive. But at first I supposed this wouldn’t be the case. I assumed he would be not much different from the other poets I had already chanced on: Tennyson, Southey, Longfellow. How wrong I was!

When I was fifteen years old, I was lucky enough to obtain a hefty volume of Poe’s short stories, and at the rear of this book many of his poems had been added as a bonus (I initially assumed that all his poems were included, but later I had to seek out ‘Tamerlane’ and ‘Israfel’ in other editions). This volume was soon destined to become the greatest treasure among all my books. It was more than a book: it was some sort of dark icon.

I had already read ‘The Tell-Tale Heart’ in an anthology and knew it was likely I would become a devotee of Poe’s fiction, but I didn’t yet appreciate how remarkable his range was. He can be grotesque, yes, with a forceful emotional impact, but a significant percentage of his work has a purely cerebral basis (his detective tales, for instance) and our emotional response to this kind of fiction is cooler: it becomes the satisfaction of witnessing a puzzle neatly solved. Rather surprisingly, Poe also wrote weird comedies.

My mission therefore was to dive into the green tome. I read the stories first, for they were what I was especially interested in, and then I read his one novel, The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym, and at last I broached the poems, not with a great deal of eagerness (it must be admitted) but because I already regarded myself as a Poe completist.

And so I felt compelled to read them. My doubts were soon quashed. The poems were heady and melodic, atmospheric, delirious and insistent, romantic in the old sense of the word, yet somehow also classical. They created their own darkness and glowed within it. My attitude to poetry abruptly changed. It had shown itself to be musical and magical.

My favourite Poe poem is probably ‘The Bells’ because of its frantic and irrepressible momentum. Once you begin reading it, the poem drags you away from yourself on a mad flight. It almost reads you. There are other poems that can be regarded as Poe’s masterpiece, and often are, but for me it will always be the extraordinary tumble and crash of this set of stanzas, a poem that accelerates until the reader feels it must surely be spiralling out of control. And yet control is maintained until the very last word.

Of course, there were many other highly melodic and rhythmic poets who rival Poe in both form and subject matter. Coleridge at his most imaginative is supreme. Shelley, Byron, Baudelaire, Dowson, Verlaine, Swinburne, Housman are profound, frequently diabolic, masterful. There are too many to mention. I have a strong affection for the unsettling jollity of Christina Rossetti’s ‘Goblin Market’. Oscar Wilde’s wonderful and deliberately arcane ‘The Sphinx’ seems at times to be almost a tribute to Poe.

Then there are the curious half-comic, half-grim ballads of The Ingoldsby Legends, possibly inspired by certain German writers of half a century earlier, Goethe, Tieck, Chamisso, Hoffmann, Novalis. The overtones and undercurrents in at least some of the work of all these writers can be regarded as gothic, if we consider how they push at the boundaries of the familiar and take the reader into a crepuscular world of elusive imagery.

The upshot of all this is that I have long wanted to write morbid, musical, frantic poems myself. I have finally embarked on a project to write a batch of proper old-fashioned creepy poems about ghosts, vampires, ghouls, banshees, demons, ruined castles, blasted crags, fathomless oceans, malignant moonlight, wanderers in the mountains, hobgoblins, apparitions, pagan gods, werewolves, indeed the gamut of the darkly fantastical. Here are the first four poems I have written along these lines. With luck, there will be others.

Rhys Hughes, March 2024



On the Crag


The ruined castle

on the blasted crag

resembles the shadow

of a whole handful

of broken fingers cast

on the wall of a torture chamber

by a guttering flame.


The full moon burns

with a languorous eye

a hole in those clouds

that swirl over the ridges

of the nameless high mountains

that undulate away

into death-destined days.


And now the heavy cold beams

that illuminate dreams

slant obliquely,

silent but not weakly,

through the narrow arrow slits

of the highest turrets.


But the wanderer stands,

adjacent and patient,

on another cold summit

lower than the eroded castle crag,

and madly he laughs

as finally he understands

the meaning of the ancient

wild promise

that has twisted

his mind since he was a child.


He raises his hand

in an unnatural salute,

each finger as hollow as a flute,

and holds it steady

in front of the crag,

hiding the castle like a monstrous

rag made from flesh.


The result is heady:

the root of his wonder is watered

by congruence,

a gift of perspective,

confirmation of the prophecy:

his hideous hand,

tormented, defective,

exactly matches the castle’s outline.


Now he knows

why he was driven here:

the malign edifice on the shelf

of atrocious rock

belongs to him,

a gift independent of bloodline,

given by fate itself.




The Hag


Her stumble along these cobbled streets

after the rumble

of the death-carts has receded

is pitiful, horrible,

yet our sympathies are muted,

for she is reputed

to be a most eager eater of boiled heads.


In rags she flutters like a serrated blade

that somehow

has cut itself into strips

that are light enough to be borne on air:

but fears are born

when she stares in our direction, minds

contract in self defence.


She is the hag of hags, unapproachable,

bellicose, infernal,

insane, nocturnal,

immortal but never youthful: demonic,

suppurating, eternal,

feverishly repellent, hellbent on eating

sweet savoury brains.




In the Forest


Lost in the forest

is Boris:

his ship, tempest-tossed,

was dashed

against the rocks of this

mysterious shore.


His poor crew perished

and he alone

survived, dragging himself

up the beach

beyond the grip of the tide.


And now he wishes to hide

from the ocean

among these trees, the leaves

that whisper

dryly, crisper than his unease.


He heaves himself over roots

thicker than masts

and everything he once knew

exists in the past:

he is lost, forever on his knees.


The raging seas were a maze

without any walls:

the forest is another maze and

one that can appal

even the stoutest mariner heart.


In a clearing he pauses to rest,

shadow-blessed,

while the dark magic of the isle

liquefies the man

in diabolic, alchemical style.


He feels his old body changing

in the undergrowth:

his bones, the timbers of a ship:

his ragged clothes,

fluttering sails, savagely ripped.


Lost in the forest

is Boris:

he has a hull and rudder now,

a deck that groans:

alone, he waits patiently

for other sailors to salvage him

where he lies.


He is a wreck

with porthole eyes,

a despised demise,

his unwise sighs full of dread,

alive but dead:

his own screaming figurehead.



The King


The throne of the king

is coloured with blood

instead of paint.


The king said: it is cheaper

to smear raw men’s gore

over the gold and iron chair

that lifts me above the floor

where the tears accumulate.


So the masses succumb

to the rule of a cruel fool,

one by dying one.


The king says: faint the paint

on my inherited seat’s frame,

I ought to accelerate the game

and turn more men into bones

pulled out of their flesh homes.


No one is left in the land

to stand before his gaze:

at last he is afraid.


The king says: it is bleaker

to pretend to rule emptiness

than it is to lose one’s head,

I must use a knife as a brush

to repaint my cold throne red.


Finally no throat remains

intact in a realm of groans,

not even his own.