Tuesday, July 9, 2024

 


Yet Another Four Gothic Poems

Rhys Hughes



My writing of Gothic Poems has slowed down, as I knew it must. It is harder to be Gothic in summer than in any other season, but that’s not the reason. When writing so many poems constrained by theme, style and presentation, one must take extra care not to rely too much on repetition. The same imagery endlessly swirls in the consciousness. Two or three poems about ruined castles are surely acceptable, but not a dozen. A limit of some sort must be imposed on vampires, werewolves, ghosts and lost cities. And yet the familiar spectral backdrops are precisely what gives power to the Gothic, a sense of déjà vu as well as danger. I have done my best to strike a balance and will continue to do so.


The Gargoyle


High over the town

it frowns down

and heedless the people pass.

But one day

they will say: why didn’t we

look up before?


The sculpture is scored

with chisel scars

made by

a drunken artisan

who clearly

abhorred

the task he was given

by some

impetuous lord.


The gargoyle is evil

beyond a doubt:

there is something awful

in the tusked snout

balanced over the world.


Yet none below seem aware

of the threatening stares

it offers to the

grounded crowds: believers

and scoffers,

gullible mockers,

no one appears to care.


But the crack in the tower

nears the hour

when the gargoyle

will break free: and then we

all must see

a closer familiarity

with the weight of its hate.


I am that monster

looming above,

waiting for fate to turn me

from dragon

to dove:

dragon of heaven,

dove of hell,

seismic shift

and all’s unwell.


Yes, I am

the gargoyle.

Your bones will be crushed

into powerless powder

by my mineral glower:

your blood will run swiftly

along the channels

in my stones.


I will fall

and you will die, alone.




The Hollow Tree


I missed the turning

in the fading light

and went the wrong way

without discerning

my mistake. Already late

for my engagement,

forsaking caution,

I pressed onwards,

churning frightful thoughts.


I ought to have been

more aware: to care

deeply about where

exactly I might be going

but I was engrossed

in smaller worries, hurrying

oblivious through a twilight

festooned with ghosts,

ghouls studded with warts.


And then I passed the hollow tree

and that was the end

of my journey!


The correct direction

in such a forest is key

to the preservation of

our sanity. Now I am a man

in a new home, devoid

of affection, all alone,

woebegone, stuck for eternity

behind the dark bark

of an ancient oak: cruel joke!


The arms that seized me

as I went by were strong

but softer than any sigh:

my resistance was less

than feeble, voice a croak,

as evil dragged me inside,

and this is where I reside,

an abscess in reality’s side:

swallowed by hollowness.


Walk not past the hollow tree

if you wish to finish

your journey!


The Attic


I built the house myself.

It wasn’t old.

There was nothing cold

about the place.

No ancient disgrace had

tainted the land:

the atmosphere was calm.


And when it was finished

after one year

it was just an empty shell,

nothing to tell

me to stay away by subtle

signs of some

grotesque violated secrecy.


But one peculiar afternoon

I climbed up

to the highest room, an attic

not yet used,

and found a space crammed

with bones,

thousands of the damn things.


The timbers of my home

are groaning

and still I have no notion

of how, why,

where or what: skeletons

from nothing,

the twisted kind of miracle.


We believe that every effect

has its cause,

that every horror is a lesson,

but confession

sometimes yields no insight:

it is not right

to assign an arbitrary blame.


I have no skeletons at all

in any closet.

They are in my existence

instead, alive

rather than dead: clattering

a desecration

inside my desiccated head.



The Sunken City


The sunken city

is calling me: forlorn,

timeworn, a legendary summons.


Swamped by time, it is not mine

but I am compelled to

listen: otherwise?


The shore I walk

is far from home: the mutterings

of ghosts drowned

off the coast, waterborne

but undiluted, reach me quaintly,

faintly vagabond,

yet I am unsuited

to heed them: my fluttering heart

still betrays me.

How can I respond?


The sun is sinking,

colours fade, the tide is turning

and my yearning

laps the reefs of a burning mind.


The tales of mermen all are lies:

be wise enough

to know just this: they will insist

you drink deep

of the brine that promotes sleep:

solving riddles,

weeping wine,

will not dissolve your sufferings.


They say

the bells of ancient towers

turned to rust

still swirl and chime:

iron flakes, petals of evil flowers

settling inside the heads of those

who tempt tides

of unkempt fate

their entire lives

instead of dropping to rest on the

aching seabed,

making the dreaded dead gyrate.


But the bells of other metals

that do not oxidise

groan in contemptuous tones,

moan in the voices

of demons trapped alone with

crystallised vices.


The choices we make

determine the hate of the spirits

in the sunken city,

decide how they might indicate

our responsibility

and the necessity

that we offer ourselves

to the fuss of the waves of death.


The

sunken

city is calling

me: forlorn, timeworn,

a legendary summons to the courts

of abyssal chaos.