Sunday, April 14, 2024

 

The Brown    
    Eyed Son

by Ossie Mancias



I am the brown-eyed son

I was born in Maravilla

in the government housing projects

where the game goes on;

I sit outside my window and watch the players,

the bat and ball owners

who hit a home-run

straight through the old man's 

                                window,

the bitter old man

who yells at us kids

from behind the glass,

but who never comes out;

I listen to the panicking players

who scatter with anticipation

of the wrath of the cinto (the belt)

across their backsides;

I see the old man

violently open the door, 

breaking the lock

and bouncing the latch across the 

                                porch;

he steps outside, baseball in hand;

it's a miracle!

he is outdoors,

a first in the neighborhood;

I stand to behold him:

he is godly, like Thor or Pancho

                                Villa;

he spots me

and rushes at me;

I run away,

sensing his anger,

feeling his hand

about to grab my neck;

he wants to kill me,

but I just escape 

into the doorway home;

I slam the door shut,

lock and latch it closed

and wait for him to leave;

waiting and waiting,

years pass,

my hands wrinkle

working the lock and latch

on the door;

I absorb days and nights

in the quiet of home,

often writing poems and stories

about games and shadows in

                                Maravilla;

suddenly, mid sentence,

a baseball breaks through the

                                window

and shatters my thoughts;

angry and bitter

for having my loneliness disturbed,

I leap at the door

and force it open;

the latch snaps off

and bounces across the 

                                porch;

I spot a boy watching me in awe,

like I'm a homerun hitter;

I run at him 

with one fist clenched in accusation,

the other holding the ball;

he runs away

and I give chase;

angrily I almost grab his neck

but restrain my hand

at the fatal moment

as I realize that I am outdoors;

I watch the boy enter his doorway

                                    home;

he slams the door 

and locks and latches it shut;

I aim the baseball at his window

but decide against throwing it,

instead dropping it to my side 

for some other player to find;

for if the window breaks

too soon or too late,

I will never be born:

I am the brown-eyed son.